7/30/07

Equal Opportunities

I have been working with families who have a child with either a visual problem or other anomaly for more than 20 years. Now that the population I began working with is entering the work force, I am finding that I receive calls on a regular basis about how difficult it is to find employment. I am sure that most people know the statistic that 80% of people who are visually impaired are unemployed. It is my opinion that this statistic is based on fear on the part of employers. While they may be aware of the Americans with Disabilities Act, they find a reason not to hire or even to interview the person.

When I am asked to counsel someone who comes to me with their frustration, my first inclination is to tell the future employer only information related to their qualifications for the job. They will find out on the interview about the challenges or potential accommodations that may be needed. I completely support the efforts of the founders of PWDBC and [with]tv to establish an organized effort to educate the public to this loss of tremendous talent. Most of the individuals I have had the pleasure to spend time with throughout my career have so much to offer in ways that many of us could never understand. I join you in supporting this wonderful endeavor.

Nancy Mansfield, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Institute for Families
Counselor & Ombudsman, Retinoblastoma Center
Patient Advocate, Maternal Fetal Institute
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
Assistant Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology
Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California

No comments: