8/14/07

He's Blind. I Married Him Anyway.

Written by: Connie Kuusisto

Note to reader: I had written this post back in January and was thinking of submitting it for use on this blog. Then I read Laurie Rubin's terrific post, Two Invitations, and realized now is as good a time as any to follow up with mine...

The world is full of perfectly lovely, well-intentioned, but in some ways, clueless people. Admit it. There are people in your life who, as much as you care for them and they you, could use a little "disability awareness" training. There are also people who are ignorant. And there are those who are just plain mean. I won't make the claim that I've "seen it all", but as a former guide dog instructor / manager of admissions at a highly regarded guide dog school, I've seen and heard plenty. As have you I'm sure.

A few years ago I was asked, as a member of a local women's group, to be on the nominating committee for the next year's "officers". I was the youngest person in the room. I was, I'm pretty sure, one of the two youngest women in the entire club. I'm talking decades here. I assure you the other women in the room did not attend school in an age when children with disabilities were "mainstreamed" into public schools. Nor had they ever given much thought, I'm sure, to the concept that they themselves might only be temporarily "abled". Time was no longer on their side..

Before the meeting started, I was enjoying small talk with one perfectly lovely woman; I'll call her "Alice". Alice eventually revealed that she had heard from "Betty" that my husband was blind. Really? Can he see anything? Does he work? Well how does he get to work? Really? How did he go blind? Really? Was he blind when you married him? OH REALLY!!

Well it just so happens that my husband is, among other things, a talented writer and I'll take any opportunity I can to plug his book "Planet of the Blind" (including this one!). So I gave Alice the particulars and suggested she ought to read it. "Oh isn't that nice. Oh I will read it! Thank you for telling me about it...." And then, just as we were being interrupted by the announcement that the meeting was coming to order she said, almost under her breath, "So. He's blind and you married him anyway...." *Smile* Alice fell into the "perfectly lovely, well-intentioned, but in some ways, clueless people" category. She didn't mean to sound insensitive. I know she didn't. She's far too nice.

Is that what people think? Was this sweet little grey-haired old lady just voicing what everyone else thinks? Oh if they only knew. To quote Ralph James Savarese in his soon to be released book: Reasonable People: a Memoir of Autism and Adoption, she "underestimated what a relationship is, conceiving of disability only as deficits."

You see, I was married once before. I call my ex my "insignificant other". My insignificant other could see just fine. He could mow the lawn in straight lines. He could drive to the corner store for milk. He could change the oil in the car and make sure the tires were inflated properly. And I'll say it hear and now, he was the neatest roommate I've ever had. On Saturday mornings we'd do housework together. Let me tell you, he was meticulous. Not a crumb could you find in the kitchen. Not a Labrador hairball could you find on the floor when he was done. Oh he was fine in that regard! Oh, but if only he could have been a friend. If only he could have been loyal.

Several years later I met Steve. My two young children didn't seem to notice he was blind. My parents met him, liked him immediately, and didn't care. Neither did my friends. Most of them had been guide dog trainers too. We had a small wedding ceremony in Jamaica. We call it our "family-moon" because my children and all four of our parents spent most of the week there with us.

So here we are ten years later. Steve can mow the lawn, but I prefer it when he doesn't. I like a lawn to look mowed when it's done. I'm fussy that way. Steve can go to the corner store for milk - he walks. It's too close to drive anyway. I should walk there with him. It's true, he is not the neatest *roommate* I have ever had. He fails to see the crumbs on the kitchen counter and yes, what with three dogs, more often than not there are Labrador hair tumbleweeds everywhere, even after he vacuums. I am fussy. But that is my problem, not the fact that my husband can't see. I mow the lawn now, but in exchange for taking on that chore, I've got a true friend. I've traded crumbs on the kitchen counter for loyalty. I've left the life of a single Mom behind for a life of adventure with a man who's taken me to San Fransisco, Jamaica, London, Helsinki, Milan, Venice, Hawaii...

As for Steve, he traded his days as a bachelor for life with a fusspot and her two teenagers. Can you imagine? A fusspot and not one, but two teenagers!

Yes, Steve is blind. And borrowing these words from Jane Eyre: "Reader, I married him."

Cross-posted on Planet of the Blind

No comments: